Friday, January 11, 2013

Johnny 5 is Alive!!!

A few months back, I decided to do a project. A project that would test my skills as a programmer, artist, and scientist.

Build a cool robot.

There are a lot of cool robots out there, The Robonaut, R2-D2, Nao, Mindstorm, Sumo, and Vex, just to name a few. After looking over the basic material, I finally decided on Johnny 5. Why Johnny 5 you may ask? Because Johnny 5 is ALIVE (and many of the parts available already look like him.

After crunching some code, and using some simple engineering logic (the KISS system), I was looking at my Sonar (Ultra-Sonic Distance Sensor), and while it may not be a Parralax PING sensor, I thought it looked remarkably like J5 himself.

A short trip to the hardware store nabbed me some 3rd hands, which I thought already looked like arms (KISS). So Bam, on to the robot they went.

The great thing about third hands is that they have alligators for hands that can actually help you solder the robot. Theortically, you could program J5, to build clones of himself.

So, this got me thinking, what can J5 do, that I could re-create using as little money as possible (because I'm a cheap SOB).

In this blog, I'll be posting links, resources, and ideas about Johnny 5 to help me create a mini version of the world famous Robot. If you have something you would like to share, post a comment anywhere on this blog, I read these things all the time.




No comments:

Post a Comment